Photobucket Welcome to our little corner of the internet. We're glad you took time to stop by to visit, the critters and I like new faces. Linger a while and enjoy the life here, but beware, the squirrels will help themselves to anything you leave behind!

Aug 5, 2009

Storm Damage



Yesterday was not a good day!!! In addition to a sink that had been stopped up for three days (and trying to avoid a plumber) I awoke to thunder, lightening and hail, which really scares my dogs, so I had to get up early and deal with that. One storm after another went thru all morning, and around noon the Big One hit. It rained so hard I couldn't see out the second floor windows and there were huge down drafts of wind. I could see leaves and limbs flying by but little else. Then the power went out.
GREAT!
I spent the next 5 hours trying to think of something to do that didn't involve electricity. It was dark and gloomy, so couldn't see much inside. Then the power returned, I decided to run to the store only to be faced with the damage in these pictures. My block was 'ok', my phone lines were hit and all my phones are dead (thank goodness I unplugged the computers and phone line to it). My pond is a mess, but an hour or work fixed it back nice. This damage is serious....and its only ONE BLOCK FROM ME!!! I certainly got lucky and decided I'd quit fussing so much about mud, leaves and no power!! Every street pretty much has one or more downed trees across it. Power and other utility companies are all over the neighborhood and chain saws are running until dark.
The brick Victorian in the picture is one of the oldest houses and one of the first houses built in my neighborhood, it dates to around 1874....and one storm did this!!
I am so lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment